Friday, October 30, 2009

Facebook #4 (the rant continues)

This huge interconnection machine called Facebook has made me feel even more disconnected. I look at the status updates and news feeds and they don't seem that earthshaking to me. It's all kinds of trivial things that we all do in life being glorified, set apart like it is something unique and special. We all go to the store to buy food. We all have car repair bills and they suck. It seems FB is a big place to commiserate about the thing that is life.

Yes, there are occassional funny things. Like today, my friend's babysitter confused KY jelly for diaper rash cream. That is the funniest thing I have heard of. (Hi Di.) But knowing what someone is making for dinner is not too interesting to me.

I was also saddened to find out that someone I sent a friend request to a month ago was friending this person or that person. My unanswered friend request went out a month ago. And apparently when a request is pending for so long, their news feeds show up on your news feeds. Not status or anything else, just who they friended. Great. Nice to know I am not really that important, or a friend. I rescinded the request. Guess it's one less person for the Christmas list. Because I am a sucker I may friend them again. But I bet I'll feel the same way if the request is ignored.

In this world where I strive to stay connected in person with people, technology and whatnot creates something to interconnect people all over the world, but without ever leaving the house. I find that sad.

I also don't post things very often in the status space or on a news feed. You would like to know people are reading it and get comments for being profound or witty. But the things I would like to post, on second thought seem trite or lame or worst of all, not funny. And FB isn't a place to get deep. It's the skin of the teeth for content it seems. Pretty pictures for empty souls.

See? That was kind of deep.

1 comment:

LolaDiana said...

The best part of the KY jelly story, was that it actually stopped the diaper rash!
xoxoxo