Monday, October 5, 2009

Sea Cave Spelunking




I went caving in a sea cave in Rancho Palos Verdes yesterday. I was working at the Terrenea Resort which is right on the ocean. When I was working there a couple weeks ago I went along this path along the ocean. Partly to see where it went and partly because I wanted to wander and look at the Ocean. It took me to a tiny public beach. But kinda private, because you would never know it was there if you hadn't heard of it or stumbled upon it, and since it's on a resort property...
The first time I was there I climbed over these rocks and found this cave carved out of the rock by the ocean. Being me, of course I went in. But as I get further back the light from outside faded about 40 feet in. Since I couldn't see what was in front of me, I turned around and decided to come back next time I was working there, but with a flashlight and camera.

The cave is damp from the high tides I imagine. It's about 70 feet deep and it has drops of about 10 feet carved by the swirling water. The surprising thing is that the top of it is about 40 feet up . The ocean carved upward when it reached the end of the tunnel. In the tunnel are some long planks. It looks like the remnants of a dock that floated in and got trapped. I'm not the first person to be in there, I found beer cans and grafitti.

When I was climbing around in there yesterday some people were coming toward the entrance of the cave. They could see me deep inside moving around with my light. "There's people in there!" the guy said. They didn't come in. I found that kind of funny. They must watch a lot of horror movies. What might I be? Pirates? Some subterreanean half human cannibal? It's a cave on a public beach with attendants. Shout a "hello" and come on in.

1 comment:

JAT said...

Very nice pics. I don't know, Sparta, about those people. It is a little close to Halloween to be risking the possibility of cave lunatics.