Monday, October 26, 2009

U2: The Bad Part


95,000 people were reported to have attended the concert. It's a really huge number when you see it in person. People started arriving at 5 am, according to the radio as we were driving at 4 pm to beat the traffic there. It was like a huge tailgate party in the parking lot, which was really a golf course. We were parked on the greens. It was weird...

Me and my friend Karen found our seats. Section 13, row 51 seats 19 & 20. In front of the stage but in the bleachers. 100 or more yards from the stage. For $56.50 what do you expect? Front of stage standing for 4 hours? (Which would suck.) But much of the singing was out our direction and there was the coolest big screen I have ever seen at a concert.
The crowd was so crazy big that it was insane. Since some of these people had been drinking and smoking dope for hours they were trashed. Which makes people into the biggest assholes around.
Karen and I were boxed in on 3 sides by crowd stereotypes that just made me want to leave. The guy to our left was just young and crazy thrilled to be there. That wasn't so bad. But, dude, when Bono is talking about someone being held under house arrest for the past 20 years, don't yell, "WOOOOO!" Can you even tell me where Burma, also known as Myanmar is?
Below us was 2 couple in their late 40s. The 2 blonde women were cute for their age, but they and one of the husbands was trashed beyond all comprehension. I drink, but when I spend the time and money on something like U2, I want to remember it. They were dancing arhythmically and waving glow sticks around. We nearly got hit by the flailing arms a few times. It was just sloppy and silly.
The worst of the box we were in was direstly behind me. This short girl was certifiably nuts. A screaming banshee BITCH. When the Black Eyed Peas came on she was constantly yelling directly in my ear and singing all the lyrics. I had earplugs in, but this girl cut thru them like a chain saw. I would turn around and look at her when she would do a 30 second yell directly in my ear. How can you hear the music when you are yelling so much? Shut up and LISTEN! When I looked at her once, I turned back around, her hand appeared at the side of my head and hovered there. What the fuck? was she going to hit me? No. "High 5!" I ignored her. I want to you to shut up or die. I'm not going to high 5 you.
Now, she was short. I discovered this when I stood up during Slash playing Sweet Child o' Mine with BEP, and my body completely blocked her view of the stage. This was funny to me. After BEP left the stage, the crew switched around the stage for U2 and I heard this girl bitching about me. "This guy is an asshole." She meant the guy next to me. "This guy is an asshole" meaning me, "And since she is with him, she is an asshole too." I'm sitting directly in front of you. I wanted to turn and say something but refrained. It wouldn't serve a purpose. I can't beat civilty into someone that clueless.
U2 started to play. Everyone stood up. During the first song the metal seat directly behind me started to be pounded. I turned and looked. The bitch was standing on my seat directly behind me stamping her feet and screaming. I gently moved back and she stepped off of the seat I paid for. She went ape shit. She started screaming at me, she was pulled back by the poor guy she was with. She was screaming at him, screaming about me, "fuck" was every other word. Karen said she looked back during the commotion and she saw the guy look at her helplessly. I ignored it as best I could.
The screaming stopped. I don't know where she went, but she went away and never came back. Then I was allowed to enjoy the concert. This girl is her own worst enemy. I'm sure she is posting on her Facebook page that I ruined the concert for her. She is the victim! Maybe, but of her own shitty entitled behavior.
Oh, yeah. Leaving the parking lot took 45 minutes.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

oh the good is so good, but the bad is so bad that it makes going out for any kind of group experience simply horrible. Your description chills me, because its the very reason that I miss so much good art. But I'm glad you had some time to get into the music. i knew you were there and was thinking about you.