Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mobile Emissions Testing?

On the way back from Rancho Palos Verdes I was randomly stopped at a mobile emissions testing station at the side of the road. Never heard of such a thing. It's a good road to do it on, one lane in and out basically. However, mobile smog check? Fuck off.

Sobriety checkpoints are fine, they catch drunk drivers. But I was waved to the side after another guy. The other guy was talking to the attendant. I was a bit irked. I just had my smog done last month. Seriously. I passed the first testing. So the guy in front of me gets waved away. I pull up. The attendant said it was a random check. What was the year of my car? I showed him the registration and said I was smogged just last month. My registration was dated 10/3/09.

Do I have time? It takes 10 minutes. No. I don't and shouldn't have to. It was just smogged. They just want to check that the station is doing it's job. Really? Go anonymously to the stations in a sting operation. Don't waste my time. So he looks at my front plate, types it into his computer and says I refused to test. Fuck you, pal.

Wonder if I will need to be smogged every year from now on...

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

wow. . . this IS weird. I've never heard of this. I sometimes wonder if Americas big social injustice, across all economic brackets, is that our government feels entitled to intrude into out basic activities and waste so much of our time. From filling out a million forms to apply for aid to poor families to waiting in mile long lines to more from one location to another.