Thursday, May 13, 2010

Standing By Your Convictions... Oh, Wait...

John McCain, senator from my home state has gone batshit crazy and will say totally anything to keep his job.

McCain used to be someone you could respect even if you didn't agree with 90% of his views. He had conviction and stuck with it. These last elections, presidential and senatorial, have made him a super hack politician. He will say anything to keep his job. There is a primary challenge from J. D. Hayworth, a very conservative Republican, former congressman. Because his views are so "Tea Party" McCain has gone against everything he ever said as a somewhat moderate Republican.

Immigration is probably the best example. In 2006 he and Teddy Kennedy proposed immigration reform that would have been reasonable in light of the 12 million illegals already here. But now he is agreeing with the AZ 1070 bill. And he wants to "finish the dang fence." Strong language there Senator.

He's so afraid of losing his job he's lost every principle he ever had. I don't know. I think it's time for him to retire. But if he can be voted out of office and replaced by a Democrat, cool.

Two personal recollections of McCain I'll share.

1. When I was in school McCain came and talked to a class I was in. I don't recall much, but I didn't like the guy. It was a gut reaction and I was too young to give a damn about what he was saying. I don't remember what he was talking about. He seemed insincere and a little reptilian.

2. I was working an outdoor festival in Scottsdale. Food, booze, music were all around. There was a super hot girl in a tiny bikini with a clipboard. She was collecting signatures to recall McCain. I asked why. I don't remember what she said. I only asked so I could continue chatting with the super hot girl in the tiny bikini. I recall she was adamant about her disdain for him as a politician. "The worst thing for AZ." She said. I was watching her mouth as she spoke. (I'm easily amused...)

He should say what he really thinks and be willing to lose his cushy job. He's only had it for 25-30 years. He's desperate, saying anything, tapdancing as fast as he can. Let it go. Hang out in one of your 6 houses. Rest. Relax. Write a book. "MAVERICKY" by John McCain.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.