Sunday, May 9, 2010

Reunions

I went to my high school reunion years ago and found it to be strange.

In high school I was short and skinny and didn't really grow until I got into college. I was also a year younger than everyone else in my class because of my birthday being in December. I was either going to be younger or older than my classmates. It was just a choice my parents made. Being younger kinda sucked. But that's another story.


I went to the reunion late coming from out of town on a late flight. I didn't get a name tag and was wandering around the hotel ballroom. I recognized lots of people and recalled names. Even if they got old, fat, bald etc... I walked up to people i had in 4 years of drama classes and did shows with. I said hello to Kirk and he looked at me. "Hi. Who are you?" I told him and he said, "Oh my god, you look great!" In my mind I didn't think I changed, but I guess I had. This happened all the time that first night. I finally saw someone I went to grade school with and he knew me. It was nice to be remembered.

A girl named Lisa came up to me. I think she had been tipped off to who I was. She said hello. I said hello and asked how she was doing. "I''m divorced, I have 4 kids, and I want to get married again," was her reply. I didn't become a puff of smoke like you see in a roadrunner cartoon, but I thought about it. I didn't laugh at her, but I was thinking, "does that tactic work?" You'd think it would make any man run away in fear.

I found myself to be very different from everyone else there. I had a strange life as an actor in LA. All the other people had real jobs and businesses and I had nothing like that. They were adults and I still thought of myself as a kid, trying to figure it out. Funny thing was they envied me and my life. I was doing what I had a passion for. I had experiences they thought were cool, and my brushes with the glamour of Hollywood was fascinating to them. I also held up better than many. I have hair and I have an athletic body. People were looking their age.

I may go to my next one, but it's strange to me. I have very little in common with them.
My life is weird. Sometimes I would like to be normal.

No comments: