Thursday, April 15, 2010

Man/Dude Ratio

I was having a conversation via Facebook IM with someone who has a son. Casey is a teenager and not yet a man. In the course of the conversation with Jaz, I expounded on the concept of being a Man as opposed to being a Dude.

I may be over 30 but still don't consider myself a Man.

A Man has a certain gravitas. Weight. Responsibility and respect. A Man garners respect. A Man walks in a room and you know it. Something about him demands attention.

A Dude is a little harder to define. There is more fun involved. More adventure. A bit of the Peter Pan, but not in a bad way. Dudes are more likeable, and raise hell at times. But they don't garner much respect.

Now, no one is either 100% Man or Dude. There is a mix in any individual.

My Dad is 70% Man and 30% Dude. He owned a motorcycle for 45 years or more and went to Alaska and thru the Alps on a bike. That's kind of a cool Dude. But he also worked very hard and raised a family. When he didn't like his job he left and eventually started his own business. He's his own boss.

I know of someone referred to as "The Man." He has gravitas and an amazing brain. But he can also do Monty Python sketches from memory. So he's probably 75% Man and 25% Dude. He was more of a Dude when he was younger, I'm pretty certain of that.

I'm probably 40% Man and 60% Dude. I'm more of a Man when working because I have to pay attention. I fuck up and people can die. So for work, 90% Man and 10% Dude. But I have no wife or kids, or even a dog. I take a backpack and wander the world when I can afford it. That's pretty Dude-like.

So think about the men you know. What is their percentage of Man to Dude? How much Gravitas to Goofball?

2 comments:

shelly blaisdell said...

This is an excellent topic of conversation with girlfriends . . . I'm also pondering the the Girl / Woman equation.

I have NO clue what my ratio is.

spartacus said...

I don't know what would be the female equivelant for man/dude. I was thinking about it as I wrote. But since I am 40/60 I couldn't come up with anything.