Friday, April 2, 2010

A Week Without Facebook

Not quite the Year Without a Santa Claus, but impressive I think.

I got to admit there was a deep compulsion to look at FB this past week. I had to go there 2 times because it had information I couldn't get from any other source, but as soon as that was retrieved, I was gone. I didn't look at any postings and didn't spend more than 3 minutes on the dreaded time waster. I was trying to recall recently, what I used to do just 6 scant months ago when I wasn't on FB. Where did I spend my time?

Yahoo, MSN, Huntington Post, Politico. In other words, News. I went back to Yahoo and noticed that there is now the ability to comment on news stories. I remember a number of years back when Yahoo suspended the comments on news stories. There were abuses and escalating attacks by people on the topics of reproduction and religion and politics so Yahoo just pulled the plug. I was surprised by that.

That several year hiatus didn't change much. The crazy bigoted, racist, conservative and liberal wingnuts are still out there. And then there are a few Pollyannas wondering why we can't all get along?

Funny thing is, I traded the FB posts for the coments on Yahoo. And I got to say, I find the ones on Yahoo far more entertaining. I am amazed at what people think. The posts on FB seem even more innocuous and vacuous. I'm not trying to be mean. I rarely post on FB and I am a FB voyeur more often than not, but the stuff on Yahoo would be inflamitory if on FB. Or maybe it is on FB and I am not looking in the right place. Or my friends are not wingnuts.

I think I will go another week without it. Maybe 2. One thing is for sure, my email is a lot less busy than it was. I find that refreshing.

No comments: