Thursday, April 29, 2010

Directors

I was working a gig with some guys who are going to school to be directors at the Art Institute in Pasadena. They were young; early early 20's. And as I worked with them I just wanted them to shut up and not goof off, or disappear.

It made me wonder what kind of directors these guys would become. Because if they act this way in front of a Grip or Gaffer who is old enough to be their dad, that person will not respect them. They had no gravitas. They didn't seem to know or care what was going on, they didn't see what could be done independently without being told what to do. They were young and eager and had lots of energy to burn. But at some point stop quoting "Superbad" and do the job. (Is "Superbad" a touchstone kind of movie for these guys like Star Wars was for me? Wow, the quality of touchstones seems to have fallen.)

I was asked about how I approach acting. I answered the Spencer Tracy quote. "Learn your lines and don't bump into the furniture." (I don't think he knew who I quoted.) I have learned lots of styles of acting and it all comes down to whatever works. I have a big tool box of styles. But I got the impression from the guy that he was used to a certain style or system. He said he was shooting a short in July. I'm doing one in June. I already have a full schedule and know what day I am shooting. I don't think he is 1/10 as prepared. It's a nebulous thing.

Nebulous shoots piss off the crew. It wastes time and money and is not productive. I think they need to teach these guys how to be professionals. It will be interesting to see if I ever hear of them working as directors. Who knows, could happen.

2 comments:

LolaDiana said...

good stuff, all of April. I love your writing.

spartacus said...

Thank you, Di.