Friday, September 25, 2009

Tahoe 2


On my second day off I took Jeff's inflatible kayak out on Lake Tahoe. Of course if you have a mountain bike in your car, you just might have a burly kayak.

He told me what to do, and I got in. The lake was smooth as glass and very clear. I started paddling and I could see it was shallow. My shadow slid along the bottom of the lake next to me. I got into deeper water and the shadow was still there. I cruised south of the Hyatt. On the shore are really big houses owned by really rich people. Billionaire types with docks and boat houses at the end which house jet skis and fast super boats.

I went about a quarter mile within 200 yards of the shore then turned into the lake. I wanted to see at what point the shadow underneath me disappeared. The lake has some drastic drop off points. Somewhere around 300-400 yards out my shadow was gone. Didn't see it happen.

I looked around and floated on the lake. It was very quiet and peaceful and kind of primal. There were only 2 boats that whizzed by. When they passed by me I would turn perpendicular to the waves that would soon to be rocking my world. It was a fun little blip to break up the glass-like ride.

On the way back I saw a katamaran parked out in the lake. It's used for 2 hour tours on the lake. There was no one one the boat, so I paddled underneath the center of it, between the 2 hulls of the boat. It was kind of cool.

Didn't dump in the lake. Didn't get cold or wet. Didn't die.

Another fun day.

No comments: