Sunday, September 13, 2009

Strange Audition

I went to an audition at a little store front theatre in Hollywood for a Shakespeare type thing. In the email it said you "would be auditioning with more than one person in the room." Well, not just one person, everyone who was auditioning was sitting there watching the monologues. Of all the things to do, having to sit thru a bunch of Shakespeare monologues performed by actors of varying levels was difficult.

A cattle call for non union theatre? Really? Auditions aren't tough enough but to wait and watch other people make mistakes, or worse do your monologue before you, is an invitation for disaster. The whole thing made me not want to be there. I lost respect for the director running the thing. In my mind, it showed poor decisions on his part.

And though I find watching auditions fascinating, I don't like watching them before I have to work. The audition went okay. I dusted of Leontes, which no one does, and left hoping not to be called back.

I think I will be out of town during one of those weekends... Darn.

No comments: