Friday, September 18, 2009

Extra Annoying

I was working on a commercial yesterday as an extra. It's a fun job. You meet all sorts of people. And some who end up annoying the shit out of you.

There was one guy on this job. He said he'd worked with me before. Could be. I meet a lot of people who I might not see for a year, or maybe never again. After the job and a comment or two from Howard, I remembered vaguely

When this guy talks, which is a lot, you don't get much chance to have a conversation. It's more of an urgent monologue. If your attention starts to wane, he has the tendency to touch your shoulder or whatever is close. Could be a knee if you are sitting near him.

1. Don't touch me. If I am losing interest, notice that the audience is getting restless and get to the point if there is one. But touching me to reconnect me to the story I have no interest in is just going to piss me off. Do you poke a bear with a stick if it starts to walk away?
2. When you say "to make a long story short" wrap the story up in 2 sentences. Do not use that as a launching point to continue the story of how you bought your car for really cheap, and don't know for certain if it is stolen.
3. Telling me what Kanye West did to Talor Swift at the VMAs this week is similar to what happened to Jaycee Lee Dugard is going to get a vehement response from me. The 2 things have nothing in common except they both happened on planet Earth.

Howard told me later that I apparently got into it with this guy on a job back in January. I can see why, but I don't remember it.

No comments: