Wednesday, September 2, 2009

LA Fires




The Los Angeles fires have been going on for days now. I live maybe 15-30 miles from the large Station Fire, and ash is floating its way over to my neighborhood. The sunlight on the ground is tinged orange. There is a plume of smoke from the fires and the smoke has created what are called Pyro-Cumulus clouds. Its' pretty amazing.
Because the air quaility is so bad I picked up breath masks from a hardware store. My lungs felt tight as I did everyday things out in the polluted smoky air.
But there are somethings that are kind of funny and awe inspiring:
I saw a guy on the street selling a bubble gun at an intersection in Burbank. My car was stopped at a light and hundreds of small soapy bubbles were floating on the breeze with small bits of ash. A strange mix.
At night you can see the plume of smoke lit up by the fires below. The plume is colored orange and pulses as the fire beneath ebbs and flows.
The almost full moon is sort of orange red and the sunsets are a spectacular bright red from all the particulates in the air.
But you really shouldn't be breathing in all this.

No comments: