Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Actor Moment

I had one of those odd actory moments in rehearsal the other day.

I was doing one of my numerous monologues in the show and my perspective sort of stepped back in my head. I was still doing the monologue almost on auto-pilot, but a small part of my mind was freaking out. "What the fuck am I saying? Do we really open in 5 days!?! Holy fuck. What if I screw up the lines like I've been doing? Arrgh!"

It was a moment of insecurity. It happens. This was because I have the most lines in the play. It is a difficult play by a very erudite author, Tom Stoppard. The language is so British and so well written that it needs to be done the way it's written. And being a bit of a language purist, I want to get it right. You don't paraphrase Shakespeare or Stoppard. It is written in a way that makes it difficult to make up...

It's very odd to have a bit of your brain disconnected and still function on the task at hand. But people do it all the time, driving and talking on the phone, watching TV and building a nuclear weapon. (just checking to see if you are paying attention. ;)

The show will open this Friday, and we will be awesome...

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

SOOOOO looking forward to the show!!!!

And I TODALLY get what you are describing. Its classic OBE (out of body experience). I remember the first time I had it I was in a fight. I watched the whole thing from a lifeguard chair in my head, doing sports play by play commentary.

I dig yer blog.