Saturday, February 5, 2011

Banks Suck

I'm leaving Chase bank. I never actually started an account at Chase bank. Nor did I start an account at Washington Mutual, or Home Savings. I had a free checking account at Coast Savings 15 years ago. They were bought out, then that bank was bought out, then Wamu was bought out. So I have had 4 banks without ever leaving the building.

Because my account was a free checking account originally I was begrudgingly given a free checking account by one of the banks in the middle. JP Morgan Chase has changed the free checking to free with conditions.

1. $500 single direct deposit per month.
2. $1500 minimum daily balance
3. $5000 spread over all of your Chase accounts. Checking, savings, CD, money market.

I'm an actor, and I do production. I don't have any direct deposit with any of the 23 companies I might work with in any calendar year. Also, I'm as actor, I don't have $1500 or $5000 just hanging around.

So Bye-bye Chase. Your tellers were nice, but you don't need $10 a month from me to do your fucking job. Especially when you are making $4.3 billion recently and then 11 billion something the time before.

I did go in to talk to someone at Chase to find out if there was a way not to be charged beyond the 3 listed above. The guy said every bank will be charging for checking within a year. I doubt that. It sounded like something to say so that the customer would feel defeated by some inevitable juggernaut and not close their accounts.

I started a free checking account at a bank nearby in December in anticipation I would be making a switch. Then I overdrew my account while moving deposits to the new bank and didn't cover what was out there circling. Stupid of me not paying attention, but it happened 6 days ago, and Chase still has yet to notify me I'm overdrawn. But in this long delay, where I could have done something about it, 3 other things hit. All for the bargain price of $34 each. So I get screwed (yeah, I know, I should have paid closer attention.) for $136.

Banks are not out for the guy scraping by from paycheck to paycheck. It might be easier to stuff your mattress with $20s.

No comments: