Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Compliment

In life you don't necessarily get compliments. You get compliments for doing the extraordinary, but not the things you do everyday. You do your job, but do people compliment you for doing your job? You may do it well, but do people notice and tell you that you are doing a good job?

I work in a lot of disciplines. Technical; acting; general awesomeness. But I got a compliment that surprised me today. This past week I was working on the Sci/Tech Oscars. This is the ceremony where they get a hot Hollywood chick to host the Academy Awards for the geeky stuff. This is sound and camera technology and computer stuff. In the Oscar awards it shows up as a 20 second clip.

In preparation for this event I had a long phone call with the guy running the crew. He wanted 2 riggers to come in for load in and to be there certain days. I told him I think I can do this myself, there's no reason to bring in another guy. I know the room, what he described to me was nothing unusual for me or the room. He said it was up to me. So I did the entire thing myself.

I was my normal competent self and did the job. It was pretty easy for me. Today as we loaded out he asked where I work. Who I work for? He told me he liked my work ethic. I said thanks. Because in his experience, when people say they "can do a job themselves, they don't need help", most of the time they are wrong. I was not.

Nice to get noticed and be appreciated.