Thursday, December 31, 2009

Another Acting Rant

I read something recently that made me think about acting. I have had a tough year this year in "the Business". Mainly I wasn't involved in it in almost anyway for the past year. And I am frustrated and angry and I'm thinking "if I quit what else could I do?"

This article was about quitting. It's easy to quit. You just stop. If you can walk away from whatever you were doing and never think of it again, you are golden. People quit because of frustration, defeat, anger, they just can't take it anymore. I had a lot of those feelings this year. I'm weary. It's been a tough year for me in general.

But the thing is, and as arrogant as this sounds, I'm good. I'm a good actor. I have been in some shit projects where people told me I was the only good thing. They were my friends, but if I was crap, my friends would tell me.

I auditioned for a project at ILM years ago. I was in a motion capture suit on a blue soundstage. The only thing seen of me was my face. I did the audition to the air. A long monologue to someone that would be added digitally to the scene if I was cast. At my feet was a sound guy laying on the floor holding a boom mic, that was the only place he could be to get my voice. I did the scene a few times. While the director looked at the playback the guy at my feet looked at me and said, "That was really good. When Patrick Swayze was here doing Ghost, they had to clear the room." He couldn't do what I did because there were people around. I was surprised by the compliment. Never thought to clear a room. It's my job to be able to do what I need in any situation. I don't see the crew. Being on the boards probably helped me there. You need an audience.

I'm good. And I put up with all the suffering and heartache, sacrificing so much because I know I'm good. I just need more of a chance. That's the thing that sucks about acting. You need other people to do your art. Writers don't need it, painters & sculptors don't need other people to do their art. Acting is collaborative. you need other people to make it happen. And the last name of Sheen, Bridges, or Baldwin wouldn't hurt.

No comments: