Thursday, December 31, 2009

Nietzsche Year

That which does not kill me... Makes me want to give up in frustration, sit on my couch and watch television until I die. Not quite the quote from Nietzsche, hunh? But apropos for this year that is ending. Since I am generally a private person I thought I'd put a soul bearing post on my blog.

By overwhelming consensus 2009 seemed to suck for most everyone I know. The only good thing about it is that it is almost over. For me this past year has been my toughest ever in my life.

1. The economy sucked and messed up the balancing act in the work I do. Events were cancelled or were downsized. Commercials were not being made. I made 1/3 less money than I did the two previous years. Which made for very difficult times and some amazing tap dancing to pay my bills.

2. I lost my SAG health insurance because I didn't make the required amount to qualify because of the crappy economy and the commercials were not being made. I have to find insurance on my own. Having done it before, let me tell you, it ain't cheap.

3. April 18th my foot was injured. I was told originally it was just a sprain by my GP. Wrong. It's much more than that and it will require surgery at some point in the future. But since I have no insurance as of tomorrow, and may have a hard time getting insurance as this might be a pre-existing condition... There's more to this story. But the various options depress me somewhat.

4. Career. Acting. Well, other than doing one play in the Spring, there was no career. I found a manager in March. She got me one audition in the time I have been represented by her. For voice over stuff, I sent demos out twice this year. (You have no idea how glacially slow agents in the VO world are.) Got to read for one, but that went nowhere.

5. Lonely. This year I have felt acutely alone. I don't mind being by myself, but I have been feeling very alone. Dating in LA is weird. Actresses are weird, and usually all I meet. It's kind of funny, I found the women in Norway much more attractive than here in LA. I'll figure it out at some point. Mail order Norwegian bride maybe...

Good- Bye 2009. this year will be remembered. And very little of it will be good.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

yes, 2009 was very very strange. I have high hopes for 2010. and I have faith in you. . .