Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Tradition




For the past 3-4 years when I go home to Phoenix for Christmas a good friend tries to kill me. It's a bit of a tradition. I'll explain.

My friend Terry is the most fit person you might ever meet. His heart rate is around 60 beats a minute, he mountain bikes, and is a helicopter pilot in the Army. And when we are both in town we go up Camelback Mountain. In the middle of a very flat Phoenix is a mountain. There are 2 paths to get up it. It takes about 45 minutes to get up the long path. But it's about a mile and a half climb up a mountain. Not easy. (The pictures are from last year.)

This year because of my foot which was injured in April, I was not able to make it up the mountain. This pissed me off. My ego, which sometimes gets me into trouble for shit like this (i.e. trying to keep up with the super fit Terry.), REALLY did not want to quit. We were over half way up. My ankle/foot wasn't coping well with the angles and the loose rocks. It was hurting me enough that my common sense made me call it off. I knew it was getting to the HARD part. And if getting up was this hard, getting down would be worse.

So I quit. I don't generally quit any challenge. If I made it up Camelback, I would be paying for it later, and especially on the way down.

I'd like my old, functional foot back. Please.

No comments: