Sunday, August 2, 2009

Comic Con - Day 4

Sunday.

After such a late night I slept in as best I could. Say 9 am? And then packed a bit in anticipation of leaving. I went to the Convention center and caught up with Zack. He had loaned me a shirt for Saturday night. I didn't have anything dressy. So he kindly gave me something so I didn't look like a slob.

I caught up with him in the hall and we exchanged shirts. I was just worn down by the whole weekend and didn't really want to fight the crowds in the dealer's room. I said "Bye" to Zack and JoJo and then started to leave. On the way out I looked at the schedule. I rarely go to panels, and certainly not those you have to wait with 3000 other people to get in a room. But there was a Voice Over panel that had already started. Cartoon voices. My friend Kari makes a living doing anime and cartoons and I have been trying to break in to the field. (classes, a demo, etc...) So since it was already going I just walked right in and sat in the back.

There were some great VO actors there. Legends really. They were given a script with no preparation, the moderator gave them their multiple roles, and "Action." They did a cold read of a Superman script; one guy was both Ma and PA Kent. If the moderator said "change" they had to read the same line again in a different voice. It was really amazing. And a bit daunting. It made me wonder if I could do that. My friend Kari is really amazing. Sometimes I will recognize her voice, but many times I don't. I'm getting better at picking out her voice, though.

After that there was a panel about the business of VO. So I went to that. It ended at 2 pm. That was my absolute latest I could stay at the Con. I had to be in Culver City to feed a dog, and then go design lights for a show at the Knightsbridge. The panel was good. Did I learn anything that can help? I don't know. Other than keep trying, but I knew that one. It's just like anything else in this business. Persistence in the face of overwhelming odds.

I did give a Demo reel to a couple video game makers, and I gave my card to a few directors. So hopefully something will come from the seeds I sowed there.

I went and got my car from where I left it on the streets for 3 days and drove to the hotel. Finished packing and got out of San Diego.

All in All, a great con. And a nice view from the other side of the velvet rope.

No comments: