Monday, August 24, 2009

Water


I like the water. I learned to swim at the age of 2 in Scottsdale. My parents didn't have a pool then, but they would get a membership to a pool at a hotel nearby. First was the Safari Hotel on Scottsdale and Camelback. Later it was the Valley Ho (That was the name. Stop snickering.) on Indian School and 68th street.
When I was maybe 7 or 8 we got a pool. On my street most evryone had a pool. I think there was only 2-4 houses without pools. It's kinda crazy. All the kids in the neighborhood would swim at each others houses. It was fun.
When I went to college I missed the pool. I haven't lived with a pool in the backyard since I was 17. But a good friend of mine lets me come over and swim at her place n Burbank. It's someone I housesit for every once in a while.
I'm not sure what it is about the water. The thick silence when underwater? When all I can hear is the grinding of my shoulders in their sockets. (It's not the years it's the mileage. My shoulders have seen a lot of mileage.) I like the floating weightless too. Also, I can stick to a wall like Spider-man and fly like Superman. That pleases the 8 year old part of my psyche. I have always wanted to be a superhero. Though the villans have the best lines...
My best day ever was in 2008 on the Great Barrier Reef scuba diving for the first time. I was underwater thinking, "This is going to be and expensive fucking hobby." I will someday get certified, and then go back into the deep. The warm deep. None of this California stuff. Brr....

No comments: