Wednesday, August 5, 2009

SYTYCD

If you know the acronym, then you know what this will be about.

I hate to admit it, but I watch a reality show. Not America's Best Karaoke. I hate Ryan Seacrest, and the singers are not that good.

I watch, "So You Think You Can Dance." I had never heard of it until 2 years ago. My disdain for reality shows in general had kept me from noticing it before then. I was visiting Bill and Heather in San Diego, and they were obsessed with this show. I thought it was interesting, but didn't really watch until last summer.

I love the different dance styles. The dancers are generally amazing, and the girls are atheltic and hot. And I watch wishing I could dance like them with that kind of virtuosity. I have always liked some of the old Hollywood musicals. Particularly Gene Kelly, and Fred Astaire movies. Singing in the Rain is a classic, and Daddy Long Legs is just fun. Gene Kelly was a man dancing. Powerful and athletic, and fearless in his Broadway style. Astaire had grace, style and elegance.

I like to dance, but it's kind of a freestyle thing in bars. And something too rarely done. When I try to dance something choreographed, I think I dance like a fighter. After years of training, my muscles are geared more toward sword fighting and hurting people. I can pick up any style of martial arts very quickly, but dancing I find tough.

I would like to be able to do half of what the dancers on SYTYCD do. I admire their dedication, sacrifice and passion for what they do. I have done the same for acting. Those dance classes at ACT are just a vague memory now...

No comments: