Friday, July 31, 2009

Comic Con Day 3


Saturday


Now the real reason I am at Comic-con, other than being a huge geek, I have been speaking on a panel for the last 3 years. My friend Sean Rourke runs the Comic-con film school. It teaches how to make a movie on the cheap from pre-production to post production in 4 days. I am part of day 3. Actors and directing actors. It's a fun panel. And being on it gets me into the con for free for the whole 4 day shindig. (Thank you Sean!)
So I went to my panel and hung outside while chatting with the other panelists who have been doing it as long as me. We are a very witty bunch of actors and a damn good looking group. Maybe one of the prettiest panels around. Oh, wait, Megan Fox was there... Nevermind.
Sean shows a reel of clips from our work before inviting us to the stage. I always hate that part. It's tough to watch yourself onscreen. I don't enjoy it, and I don't know many actors who like watching themselves. So we sat down and adjusted the mic stands so we could grab the mics easily. The panel covers where to find actors, what we expect when working for "credit, meals, and copy". Sean is very efficient and gets a lot of info to the assembled audience. It's always fun, and the only time I get to see some of these very talented people.
After that I was free to do what I want. Now, Saturday night I was invited to the Radical Publishing's private bash. They took over the whole Hard Rock Hotel in downtown SD. There was a lot of time to kill between 11 am, and 9 pm when the party started. So I wandered around the dealer's room. I bought one thing. A Hulk figure for the large collection of rampaging green figures in my apartment. I toyed with the idea of putting on a costume, Scarlett Spider, but in that crush of people I just didn't want the trouble. Yes, I'm a paparazzi whore, but there's a time and place. It was too crowded to be fun...
As we stood waiting for a taxi at the Hilton, I saw Zachary Quinto. I leaned into Zack Sherman's ear and whispered, "Spock". He then took notice and tried not to be geeky like the guy who asked for his autograph as he was getting in the cab. Really, dude, bad timing. He's texting on his blackberry, and going somewhere.
I met a friend of JoJo's and Zack's, Peter Alau. A very cool guy. Later in the evening while Zack was in the VIP area for Radical, I hung out with Peter and we drank. Open Bar! Peter didn't drink much, but I was busy. ;)

Zack also bamboozled us entry into the very difficult Flynn's Arcade. Disney was down promoting Tron Legacy and Zack got us tickets, and then got us in the fast VIP line. Yay, Zack. Disney had turned and empty warehouse on 6th street into Flynn's Arcade. With old schoool video games. Apparently they also had all the original neon signs from the movie for the arcade. Not that I would know that. It was Zack and Peter who pointed out that fact. After a certain point you were taken thru a secret door and got to see a life sized light cycle mock up. I want one!

We went back to the Radical party which was now in full swing. KISS was playing. Or rather, Gene Simmons, his son, and 2 guys who could be in the band, but I didn't recognize them. While there, I met some very cool people who should put me in their movies, and talked to a few very hot girls who should sleep with me. But, alas, I went back to the hotel room about 2-3 am, alone.
I put in earplugs, smashed pillows on either side of my head and was asleep quickly.

No comments: