Monday, July 26, 2010

Comic Con and the Religulous

The Westboro Baptist Church set out to save everyone at Comic-Con this year because they were worshipping Batman and Superman but not God. The thing they didn't count on was the ability of the crowd to very quickly and effectively come up with their own signs mocking them.

As I got to the convention center on Thursday I saw the 4 people from the Westboro Baptist Church on Harbor Blvd across from the convention. There was a dad with 4 signs. The son, 9 or 10 had one (He looked like he didn't want to be there. He would rather be at the beach or the zoo or the wild animal park.). The daughter, 12-14 with one sign (same mood as her brother.) And the mom with 2 or 3 signs. The typical God hates Fags, and Jesus saves, and others.

The crafty convention goers found cardboard and sharpies and made signs of their own. "Batman Saves." with a chapter and verse. "God Hates Kittens," "Kill All Humans," "All Glory to the Hypno-Toad," "God Hates Jedi," and the rather rough, "Fuck God!" The convention attendees crossed the street but were not able to get close to the religious protesters, the San Diego police department blocked the way. They were lucky. I'm sure they never encountered such smart, inventive, or mocking people. They may be used to angry pro-abortion people challenging them, but never would they dream what a well read, creative, nerd can come up with. I felt sorry for them. Well, just a little. I don't have much use for people trying to save me with their beliefs. I'm okay. Really. I figured out my own path thru the chaos. Everyone has to figure out their own way.

They seem to have given up sometime in the afternoon. And I never saw them again for the rest of the weekend. Maybe they went to the beach. I hope so. San Diego is a lovely place. Enjoy it. I wonder what happened when they got back to their church. Will they try again next year, but with more people, or have they been mocked into oblivion?

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/22/super-heroes-vs-the-westboro-baptist-church/

No comments: