Thursday, July 15, 2010

BP Stops the Oil.

BP installed a plug and apparently stopped the flow of oil into the Gulf of Mexico since the accident happened 85 days ago.

Yay! A rather simple reaction to a tragedy. But I heard recently from a friend the same thing had happened in the Gulf in the 79 with the Ixtoc I spill. I was too young to be paying any attention to this so I had no idea it had happened before. So back in the 70's how did they (the combination of oil company and government) stop it? The well was in 160 feet of water. They used a lot of the same tactics for this leak. But those were kind of successful in reducing the flow of oil from 30,000 barrels a day to 10,000 barrels a day. It started in July 1979 and was capped March 23, 1980. 9 months. That's a long time to be spewing oil.

So this well was spewing 85 days, 16 hours, and 25 minutes. An esitmated 184,000,000 gallons of oil. I don't know if anyone really will figure out how much oil spilled.

I'm just glad it's got a temporary fix so it can be permanently fixed. I wonder if BP will drill a well in the area. For an exploratory well, it seems like it was pretty damn successful.

No comments: