Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Comic Con 2010 -- Day 4

I didn't have anywhere to be or anyone to meet if I didn't feel like it so I took in a couple panels. I am endeavouring to be a voice-over actor as well as live action, so I went to 2 panels about voice-over. The first one was Cartoon Voices II with working actors in VO. Legends some of them. Like Janet Waldo (Judy Jetson), Tom Kenny (Sponge Bob Squarepants), and others. IMDb lists for these people are really astounding...

The panel was cool, and a bit daunting. These people are so good and so quick witted and funny it makes anyone out in the audience wanting to do it feel inferior. The moderator gave them a script for Cinderella to cold read. Cold reading is where you read a script without ever having seen it. You don't really get a chance to make any decisions, you just go with it. The actors were all given 3 parts to read. The narrator had to use a different voice each time he talked. It was interesting to see how they worked. They went off the script in several places and you could tell, but the ad libs were funny.

I thought about going to the GLEE panel. I know someone in the cast, but she wasn't at the con. I also didn't want to fight the crowd, and thirdly, it would interfere with seeing the other panel I wanted to see; The Business of Cartoon Voices. This is where some of the people from the previous panels gave advice to us about how to get into the VO world. I took notes and will see how I can impliment a plan...

After the panel I called up Zack. We would meet for dinner at a Mexican place in Old Town San Diego. I left the convention at 3 pm and went to pack. I walked the 6 + blocks to my car and was relieved to see it where I left it. I found some good parking on Thursday and hadn't been back to it since Friday morning. Zack called when they were out of the con and I drove my loaded car to Old Town. The food was really good. And those who know me know I'm just trying to feed the machine, but this food was good.

I left San Diego around 10 pm. I didn't want to go home. Life's been stressful and it was so nice to get out of LA and play a bit. It was also nice to be perceived as a professional actor. It's sometimes very ephmeral in LA.

No comments: