Monday, September 22, 2008

Traveling part 1

I like to travel. Most of the time I travel solo. For a number of reasons. I've been to Europe a few times and most recently went to New Zealand and Australia. Many people tell me they wish they could travel like I do. Alone, with a backpack. I usually tell them they can. It's not that hard. I just pick a place and a time frame, and I go. However, I have a lot more flexibilty in my life than most people do. I own nothing permanent; I have no kids or spouse. So it really isn't that hard to disappear for 2-3 weeks at a time.

I have been picking places that are warm in the LA winter time. New Zealand for example. Because I foolishly went to London, Paris, and Amsterdam in January 2007. When the hookers in Amsterdam are telling you to get out of the cold night you know it's a rough winter. (the 100 kph winds were a good clue, too) And they weren't suggesting I come inside to have sex with them.

I kind of like to travel by myself. I usually have a rough idea what I want to do in the places I am going. So all I have to do is do what I planned. Now, after college I went to Europe for the first time with a group from school. We were together for 3 weeks, then split up. Some people were great to travel with. Others, not so much. Who cares if the ginger-ale has both sugar and saccharin? You are in PARIS! I also don't like the community decision making process when traveling in a large group. It's tough to come to a decision when 10 people are involved. So by traveling alone, I avoid that hassle. Traveling with one or two you get along with is fun. More than that...

Next: How to journey with very little...

No comments: