Thursday, September 11, 2008

Timing

I am amazed at timing. A lot lately. I was in a car accident. A guy hit my open car door in a parking lot as he was driving thru the space next to me. It was his fault.

But the timing of it was amazing. At 5 mph, he is moving at 7.3 feet a second. Which is a lot for a parking lot, and even more when driving between cars that are parked.

Now if I had gotten out of my car 5 seconds earlier, there would be no accident. The guy was had probably not turned into the Vons parking lot at that time. And 5 seconds later, he would have just been that asshole who was driving passed my car in the parking lot. What was he thinking?

All the timing that got me to that point, all the variables are astounding. So it can be said that every moment is a moment where an accident didn't happen because the timing wasn't right. The universe didn't collide in bad or good ways.

I once ran into someone I knew in college when I was in Europe. I was in Paris, fresh out of school and a randomly picked resturaunt was where I ran into Andy Davids. He walked up and said "hi" like he expected to see me there. Kind of surprising since I hadn't seen him for 2 years when he transferred to a different college. But I then ran into him 4 weeks later in the Tube in London and greeted him like I expected to see him. Also on that trip, in Florence Italy, I ran into people I went to high school with. What amazing timng for those random happy accidents.

So pay attention to the random chance of the world and see what accidents you just avoided.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

"Pay attention to the random chance of the world and see what accidents you just avoided." is brilliant.