Monday, September 15, 2008

Religion: Creationism vs. Evolution

Okay, this post may piss some people off, but I hope it makes you think.

I was driving in my rental car (because my car door was hit.) and I was listening to 98.7 on the radio. There was a bump in the road and the radio scanned forward to 99.5, a Christian station. They were talking about creationism.

The world, the Universe, is 6000 years old. Now, James Usher, a pastor in the 1900's, figured out the world was created on October 23, 4004 bc.

Now if you read the Babylonian creation myth, Enuma Elish, there is a point for point parallel to the creation myth in Genesis. But instead of God creating, it's a group of pantheistic gods procreating. I'm not going to compare and contrast the two myths here. I don't have the space. Google Enuma Elish and look at Genesis side by side. Why are they so similar? Was it plagarized? If you had a creation myth that was generally accepted by most people and you were starting a religion, rather than changing everything they believe to be how things started, you take the myth and adapt it to suit your purpose.

Also man is created twice in Genesis. 1:26 and 2:7. The second time is exactly the same as the way Prometheus created man in Greek mythology. Cheeky Prometheus.

On the radio, the commentator said that evolution was wrong because of Genesis 1:3, "and God said." Those 3 words completely disprove all of science because it's in the Bible. No other reasoning needed. It is the undeniable Word of God. Therefore evolution cannot be right.
I was yelling at the radio. "Are you kidding me?"
There are rocks that prove the age of the earth to be 4.5 billion years old. There are fossilized remains of dinosaurs. However creationists have said that God put those things there to fool us. The earth and everything are only 6000 years old. It's in the Bible.

The radio commentator called Man "God's ultimate creation." If you look at Man from an evolution stand point, what we are right now is a step. A step to something else. Something, I hope, better, more evolved, than what we are now. Smarter, less likely to kill each other over our beliefs or lack thereof.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

Wanna know something funny? My parents were those people; they believed every word of the bible literally. In fourth grade I was told to set my science teachers straight when the started telling us that the earth was billions of years old, and I did. I'm still mortified.