Sunday, July 8, 2012

Janus

In Greek Mythology Janus is a god with two faces. It's a duality thing. It doesn't necessarily mean what being two faced does now days.

Now, I noticed something recently. Something I've probably been doing for many years. When I look at myself in the mirror, I normally look in my left eye.  I don't know if other people look more at one side of their face than the other, but I seem to prefer the left side. And women probably look at the whole face since they have make up to apply. It might just be a guy thing or a me thing.

I have a theory or 3 why I might look more at one side than the other.
1. The light from the bathroom window adds to the bathroom light on that side of my face. The right side is darker to look at. The eye automatically goes to something that is in more light. 
2. My face, like most people, is not symetrical. (People with symetrical faces seem better looking in a preternatural way.) My left eye is slightly more open than my right eye giving me a more friendly look.
3. Uh, I guess I had only 2...

When actors get headshots eventually some photog will say one side is your "good side." I don't remember which one is my good side, but I think it's the left side of my face. I generally have favored it in prior headshot sessions.

So, do you favor one side of your face more than the other? And would you have ever noticed it?

I probably just messed up how you look at your face...

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

I remember seeing this in a documentary recently . . . cant remember the details, but there is a definite preference for which eye people look into most often when having conversation. I"ll see if I can remember it . . .