Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Comic Con, Day 3. My Panel


I'm lucky enough to be a part of Comic Con Film School which is run by Sean Rourke. He brings a bunch of filmmakers and actors down every year and we tell people how to make low to no budget movies. He has a video roll before we come to the stage of  clips of our work on small films. This year I was able to change the clip from the one he had been using since he started the film school. It was my 3 deaths from Pizza and Bullets. I had never seen the clip before so having it on the big screen was nerve wracking.

After the video roll we went onstage and took our seats. Sean started the class in his normal fashion and we would chime in with comments or he would ask us questions. It went well like it has in the past and we had a good time with each other. My favorite part of the class is when he asks us for a horror story from one of the low budget things we worked on. Because shooting low budget stuff sometimes has crazy things going on. Susan almost got shot in the foot while a cast member practiced a quick draw from a holster with a loaded gun! Firstly, middle, and lastly, the gun should not have been loaded. They needed someone who knew how to handle a freaking weapon! Most of the other horror stories I had heard before. Mine was a succinct redo of one I have used for years on this panel.

After the panel we hung out and chatted for 30-40 minutes answering questions.

Now the other thing I had on my plate for the day was to see a panel someone I was friends with almost 3 years ago was speaking on. Something had happened and we drifted apart. She took over as the hardest working person in show business after James Brown died. The panel was for Disney Cartoons which she voices a character in. I was nervous. What happened and what would her reaction be seeing me?

After the panel I approached the stage to say hello. A friend of hers got there just before me and she was focused on her. The friend noticed me silently waiting. When I was noticed she smiled and gave me a hug. We chatted for a bit. I told her how my panel went. But in my head, I was wondering what happened. I thought she hated me. She hadn't answered an email, text, or call in over 2 years. I went with hates me.

She got hustled away to go sign autographs. I walked along side her for a few moment and we chatted some more. Sometime in the next 4 months we'll do lunch. Fantastic.

I caught up with Zack and Joanna again. This time a friend of ours was there too. We walked around the hall  looking at stuff. At a booth we met a sexy Asian woman dressed in basically a fur bikini and leggings. She was Hobacca. It was a funny parody. She had a blinged out Gucci bag bandolier and small bowcaster. She was very funny and bright, and an over achieving Asian. (teaching herself the violin!)

We left Hobacca and went looking for food after the hall closed. A huge cargo train was going down the tracks directly across from the convention center which means the thousands of attendees were trapped. San Diego should really make 2 bridges which go over the street and train and trolly tracks. Waiting for stop lights is crazy when it's thousands of people waiting.

Food was at Old Town. Some Mexican place Zack loves. By this time it was after 8 pm. I'm starving the demons are grumpy which makes me an unpleasant dickhead. The hostess said the wait was an hour. Fuck! We were given a beeper and went shopping. It only turned out to be 40 minutes, but I only had a Mrs. Fields cookie in the past 8 hours.

Food came, we ate. I didn't really care if it was good, I just needed it to be food. We finished dinner after 10 :30 pm and the night needed to be called. I got dropped back at my hotel. I chatted with the people in the room and went to bed.

No comments: