Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Comic Con, Day 2



I woke before everyone else. I quickly showered and shaved and went down to the breakfast buffet the hotel has. It was basic breakfast fare, but a lot of it. In 3 days I think I ate a pound of bacon. I went back to the room and changed into my costume for the day. I created a Steampunk Spiderman to wear at the con. I've never seen one before and it looked cool. I walked from the hotel to the convention center. People I  passed said, "Steampunk Spiderman," or "cool costume."

This thrilled me because I was afraid no one would get who I was or think it was a stupid idea. It's a derivation on the theme of Spiderman. One that most would not think of. I tried to keep the costume simple and practical and thought about "how would you fight in it?" If it was covered with a crazy amount of metal and brass and tubes, you're going to get hurt in a fight. I think it's called Steampunk because your goggles steam up and lessen your vision.

I walked around a bit before going to the  Film School room. My friend Jack knew about the costume so when I walked in and sat in the back he nudged 2 others I know and pointed me out. I chatted with them after the panel was over for 30 minutes and then ventured back out into the crowds.

Back in the late 90's I went with my friend Terry to Dragon Con in Atlanta. While we were in costumes there we  became Paparazzi Whores. That's  when you have your picture taken constantly. It's kind of cool getting that attention in costume, because it's like being a celebrity but when the costume comes off you can go places without people knowing you were such and such costume. The paths I walked in this costume took me past the largest number of people I could find because I wanted to be a paparazzi whore. It worked and it was fun. Whoredom was achieved.

After 5-6 hours in costume I went back to my hotel to change and have lunch. Then I went back to the convention to catch up with Zack and his wife Joanna. He had been in meetings all day and was looking to walk around the dealers room. We closed out the dealers hall at 7 pm then went for Chinese food. After dinner we went for Ghiradelli ice cream in old town.

It was late so I went back to my hotel and crashed. My panel was the next morning and I wanted to get some sleep.

No comments: