Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Comic Con: Sidebar: Religion

A few years back the Westboro Baptist church showed up and tried to convert the heathen idol worshipping fans. It didn't work. The fans made their own signs and went across the street to harass them. The SD police had to protect them. They left after a day. I'm thinking they went to Sea World.

This year there was 5-7 people quietly holding signs with the usual REPENT type of message. They were not confrontational so the crowd didn't gang up on them. They just turned the 2 sided signs around and stayed out of the way of the 150,000 people passing.

My friend observed a guy on a bike ask 2 of the sign holders a question. It went something like this.

Bike guy: Your unshakeable belief in the bible makes god real?
Sign guy: Yes.
Bike guy: I unshakably believe I am a god. So that makes me a god.
Sign guy: It doesn't work like that.
Bike guy: You just said it did.
Bike guy rides away.

I stopped and asked one of them if the bible was the WORD OF GOD  to be followed without question.
Sign guy: Yes. It's the word of god.
Me: The old testament says I can have slaves, sell my daughter into slavery, stone my children to death for disobeying me, and kill him for wearing a t-shirt made of 2 fibers.(cotton and polyester blends will kill you).
Sign guy: That's not the way it works.
Me: But you said it was the Word of God which should be followed.
I walked away.

I don't understand why they would think they could change the views of fans. The fans probably have a belief system of some kind and it gets them thru the universe. Not once did someone drop to their knees and convert.

No comments: