Monday, March 7, 2011

Pain

As I said in an earlier post, I Sing The Body Cumulative the body is cumulative. Injuries mount and you sometimes end up with with chronic pain.

I injured my shoulder doing P90X. Fucking push ups! I was in week 9. As soon as it happened I stopped and took anti-inflammatories and iced it. The day it happened, it was painful, but the next day it was mind rattling painful. This is a shoulder I have had problems with before. I've done physical therapy on it and kind of know the routine. It needs rest. And maybe a coritsone shot.

The insurance I have doesn't give me the ability to just go see the right doctor first. I have to see a GP. Then he recommends a orthopedist. They will probably want to try an x-ray, but it's not a bone thing, it's a connective tissue/joint thing and only shows up with an MRI. The easy fast fix would be a cortisone shot in the joint. But to get there I'm going to have to spend a lot of money to do what I'm pretty sure needs to be done...

It's going to sound arrogant and all know it all, but after all I have been thru with this body, I kind of know the normal situation for certain things and what needs to be done. So I rest, take drugs when I need to and hope the next day is better than today.

But I do find it kind of shocking just how my brain adapts to the pain. "Okay, I'm in pain. Let's let it ride and see how long it stays with me." I get used to it and I remembering not being in pain becomes harder. I wonder if that is normal for humans or is it an adaptation I have done to adapt to the injuries I have endured?

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

sorry about the insurance thing. I am hate insurance. Sorry about your injury. Trust your instinct. You're right; after a certain amount of years in your own body you probably know what's best. Hang in there.