Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Sing The Body Cumulative

A body is cumulative.

All the injuries and illnesses leave behind marks of some kind. Broken bones show traces on X-rays. Pnumeonia can scar the lungs. Torn ligaments and popped tendons plague the foot, hand, leg, arm that was injured long after the injury heals either on it's own or with the help of surgery.

It's a weakness or twinge of pain that reminds you that the body is not what it was. Or maybe it's a tendency to favor/baby a former injury. It's a cough or cold that settles into the lungs and takes a long time to leave. Because the scars in the lungs left by the pnuemonia leave the lungs a bit weaker and more suseptible to problems.

When I was 9 I was indestructible and jumping off of things.

When I was 20 I was indestructible (with a few qualifiers) and walking places way too high to jump off of.

I am still indestructible, but let me adjust... Uh, there, that's better.