Sunday, October 10, 2010

90 Day Experiment

I have succumbed to the vanity and the fad of a workout program. I'm trying the P90X workout thingie. I hate to say it but I finally caved.

You see, after I injured my foot last year, April 2009, I have been afraid to do some things like run. I'm concerned that I will be in pain, cause the foot to hurt progressively more, and more. But last week I played kick ball and the foot was okay. Nothing more painful than what I deal with on the day to day basis. Because I had the fear of chronic pain and aggrivating the injury, I was more sedentary. Well, sedentary for me. My sedentary is other peoples active.

A friend of mine is doing it and he was bugging me to try. I was protesting the cost, but found it on ebay for about half. It arrived in the mail yesterday and I looked it over. Besides the workout there is also a very strict diet plan. This is problematic to me for a number of reasons.

1. I'm a picky eater. It has reached a level of notoriety among my friends that I find embarrassing. So much of the food listed in the diet are things I don't eat and a bunch I've never tried. Tofu? Turkey bacon? Egg whites? Okay, I've had them as part of the egg, but I like the yolk. You cook it over easy so that when the yolk breaks it oozes all over the plate and you sop it up with toast. Awesome.

2. This will cause my metabolism to increase!?! Fucking really? So instead of being ravenously hungry every 4 hours, it will be every 3? 2? Ugh. I don't look forward to that and am trying to think of a protein powder or some power bars to take up the slack.

3. I don't want a 6 pack of abs. Really. I have gained about 10 -15 pounds since the injury and I want to get rid of the jiggle in my flesh that I have never had before. This seems the fastest way to get rid of it. I have always been thin. To the point that a girlfriend's mom commented that I looked gaunt. (Thanks, Judy)

4. I have injuries that have a bit of pain all the time. I'm not going to enumerate them here, but I can be in pain just standing. I have a stoic attitude about it. There's not much to be done. I could maybe try some surgeries to fix some of the joints that I have over used rigging and skiing and other dangerous activities, but I don't want people cutting into me. It's a cost thing as well. Also I know people who have had knee surgery and they wished they had never done it. The difference was negligible and they are still in pain.

So this will be an experiment. Can I put up with all this? The hunger and food thing will be the hardest for me, I think.

Will I come out looking like a superhero? Ok, that might be cool. Isn't the secret of any weight loss; eat less, eat better, move more?

I start tomorrow... BTW. I hate ab work...