Monday, February 15, 2010

Things Learned from Animals

I housesit for a number of people and I find I learn stuff from the animals I watch.

Even though a cat may have a collar, putting a leash on a cat makes them freak out. But it's kinda funny to watch... for about 10 seconds.

Cats can see into other dimensions. And using the information gleaned from these viewings, suddenly decide to be in the next room NOW.

If there is more than one dog in the house, I will always have a favorite. It's the one that's the easiest, lowest maintenance dog of the 2. I whisper to it. "You are my favorite dog in the room." I whisper just so the other one doesn't get jealous...

If the leash slips from your hand while walking the dog and it takes off down the sidewalk, step on the leash when you catch up to it. You won't have time to reach down and grab it.

If a cat is exclusively and indoor cat, it will work very hard to escape. And glare at you when you foil it's plans.

Rabbits are pretty useless as pets. Because they don't like to be picked up, and hide in the hutch as far away from wherever you are. Try not to take it personally.

Rats are just plain creepy. I don't give a shit when people say they are actually nice. They are vermin that carry the plague. (Okay, I can't get over the primordial "ick" factor. Sue me.)

Every animal has it's own quirks. Behavior caused by the way the owner treats it. Or the way it was treated when young. I see it because I am not used to the behavior and try to suss out why it does things.

No comments: