Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hardwood Floors

Could someone tell me the allure of hardwood floors? Please?

The floor in the apartment above me is being sanded and fixed. It was carpet, but that is now gone and being replaced with a hardwood floor in this renovation. The process is fucking noisy. The neighbor who had the same thing happen with the apartment above her said the resulting hardwood floor is "an echo chamber" and "20 times worse than it was."

Fucking Awesome.

Since the floor has no padding on it at all the simple process of walking will be noisy as shit.

So I ask again, what is the allure of hardwood floors? I walk around bare foot most of the time on my carpets. On a hardwood floor it's cold in the winter, and the dust, hair, and particulates end up on your feet. So why is this flooring system better? It's posh? Real estate ads boldly proclaim "Hardwood Floors!" In fact, having them seems to raise the price of the rent and makes houses cost more. Ooooo, hardwood floors...

What do people with hardwood floors do? They cover them with area rugs! Which makes me think people really only like the idea of hardwood floors.
What good is a hardwood floor if you have to have on shoes or slippers all the time because it's cold and uncomfortable?

That's my view and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: