Monday, November 17, 2008

Thumbnail

On June 29th of this year I bruised my thumb while working. Not a small bruise. The tip of my thumb prevented a heavy piece of equipment from crashing to the ground. Way to go thumb. A big black and blue bruise raised up under the nail and I have been watching it slowly grow out from where the bruise started way back in the nail bed. My friend Julie said, "your thumb has been black forever." Well, hallelujah, all traces of the ruined thumbnail are finally gone!

It only took 20 weeks. That's right, 140 days.

Now I have never paid that much attention to my nails. I cut them when they need to be cut. But because of this injury I have been acutely aware of my thumbnail. It seemed to take forever to grow. And it looked and felt different than the other nails. Did it feel like and outsider? Hmmm...

And like a loose tooth I played with the thumbnail and its shape simply because it was different than all the rest of my nails. It was almost a subconcious thing. You know how if something is different than normal you constantly play with it? Like people with tongue piercings are constantly clacking it against their teeth. Annoying as shit if you ask me, but they don't really know they are doing it. Everyone has to have a hobby I suppose...

So now I can stop rubbing that thumb nail. No, really, I can...

No comments: