Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cute Kids

I badgered my Dad to get the old super 8 home movies from when I was a kid converted to DVD. It was easy after finding a deal at Costco for transfering anything to DVD. $20 for 150 feet of film and then 12 cents per foot afterward.

I sat there laughing at these old images of me and Jeff being kids. And though I remember seeing the movies before I don't recall some of the things we were doing. It's obviously me, but the memory is gone. I do remember running down the hill at my grandma's house wearing a red cape like superman. And then trudging back up the hill. And for a 4 year old, that was a big damn hill. At the bottom there was a creek; if you weren't careful or had too much momentum, superman got wet.

There were vacations to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Ohio, Troy, New York, Florida, Pikes Peak, Colorado. In the movies I was climbing everything, and jumping off most of what I climbed. There was also swimming in the summers at a hotel called the Valley Ho. (I'm not kidding about the name.) I still remember the smells of that place.

There was also the sheltie we had named Whitney. From the time he was a rambunctious puppy attacking everything. I was behind the sliding glass door because I was afraid of him... I was 4.
At Yellowstone I got a stuffed bear with a leash and collar. I totally forgot about the bear until I saw the toy on that video.

It was cool to see these old movies again. And there are 3 more reels to check out when Costco gets them transferred.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

Nice . . . I like the image of you climbing everything. A metephoric fortelling of your adult activities?