Sunday, November 16, 2008

Notes Nailed to a Cross

I was working a gig this weekend. Some sort of Christain gathering for kids. The immediate impact? No cussing during the job. Which for a bunch of riggers is not easy. That's like telling Hell's Angels not to be so violent. And usually I curtail some of my explicative use after working in Anaheim anyway, I realize I sound uneducated when I cuss so much.
As we waited to go into the roof to take out the points, I saw a bunch of kids pulling nails out of 5 or 6 wooden crosses that were about 6 feet tall. They had notes attached to them. This sparked my curiousity, of course. What did the notes say? So they pulled the nails out and put them in a box. And they took the notes from the nails and put them in a cardboard box.
At the end of the night, the trucks rolled away leaving the cardboard box. Me being me, I reached into what would soon be in the trash and pulled out some of the notes, put them in my pocket and read them later. I could tell the gender of the writer by the penmanship. And I kind of discerned what the nailing of the notes meant by what was written on them.
So let me share what the 5 notes said with you. It's secret, no one will know, right?

1. I want to get rid of bad language (male)
2. Die to flesh & let God do the work. (female)
3. It's kept me from doing the things that God wanted me to do. (female)
4. Pride. Unforgiveness. (male)
5. Family breaking apart, and always fighting, Jesus I need you to bring us together. (female)

So the notes seem to be what they want to get rid of, and what they need help from God in doing, or just admitting their faults. Some are a little vague, and I'm guessing, but I wasn't there the hear what they were trying to do with the notes. For #5, I hope it works out.
Am I a bad person for reading these notes? I don't know. Curious, always. But is it worse than throwing them in the trash? Hmmm...

No comments: