Monday, October 28, 2013

Gym

I had a Groupon for a 3 month gym membership to what people who are body builders call "the Mecca." It's a name in body building that has been around for almost 50 years and lots of very famous people worked out there. Arnold for one.

I've had memberships at other gyms in the past, but I never saw that many really big muscle bound people like I see at this gym. They are huge and veiny and all super tan. But I have noticed a couple of the guys limp. They have the big muscles but they can't move simply like other people can. Was it a exercise injury? Torn ACL from some training accident which never healed properly? You get size but at a cost.

I wonder at the sacrifices these people do for the perfect look. Their ideal body. I heard a couple of the large guys talking. One said he was eating 10 times a day starting at 4:30 am. Fucking really? That's nuts. I'm sure it's a lot of lean protein and whatnot, but what reason drives them? If they were actors, they were no one I've ever seen or heard of. So what do they do for work? Or is being big their only job?

My membership ends tomorrow. The guy at the desk said there was one day left on the membership. Oh NO! Yeah, I really don't care to renew my membership there. They seem to think that because this gym is the Mecca of bodybuilding that  there are no other gyms which could provide the same services. It's a gym. There are machines and weights. All gyms have this in various combinations. Just because it's a world famous gym doesn't make me want to spend that kind of money for a service I can get from another gym for 1/4 the cost per year. You just have to shop around.

So I'll miss seeing the behemoths of the gym in their natural habitat. I don't think the new place I found will have their like. Maybe a few, but nothing like the frequency of sightings. The new gym will have machines and weights and cost a lot less.

No comments: