Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Party

I was invited to my friend's birthday party this weekend. I have known the hostess/birthday girl for years. Almost a decade. And I've known her husband for maybe 5 years.

But that was it. Out of maybe 30 people there, I knew 2.

For me this was kind of scary. Think about it. When you go hang out with friends there is a history, common experiences, and they know you and your story, so you don't have to tell people who you are. So to be in a room of people I don't know at all is weird and off putting to me. I'm a bit shy with new people. I tend to wait to see who they are before I show them myself. It's a defense thing... So it took me a while to figure out how to have a conversation that told them about me and make it work for people who didn't know me at all.

I got more comfortable and I loosened up. It was just strange to come in as an unknown. Everyone was very nice and the actors were actory. If you haven't hung out with actors, you won't understand what I mean. But while I was standing talking with some people, one of them mentioned Wilson Phillips and their old song Hold On. Then 3 of them proceeded to sing it. The whole song. Then they sang Eternal Flame by the Bangles. It's not unusual for performers to perform at parties.

All in all it was fun. I need more things that take me out of my comfort zone.

No comments: