Saturday, July 30, 2011

Comic Con 2011 -Day 3 & 4


Saturday morning was my panel. I think this was the 4-5th year I've been doing it. It's run by my friend Sean Rourke. A very bright guy, director and writer, who has done some cool things for little or no budget. If you notice the listing above, our names are alphabetical. So I'm at the end; "and Brad Upton." It's like when Robert DeNiro does something in a movie, you get all the credits then, "and Robert DeNiro."

Doing the panel is fun. It is a kick to get onstage as me (Something that doesn't normally happen.) and talk to people. The panel is not all me. There were 7 of us and Sean moderating. He would ask questions to us and we would give answers as they related to our experiences. The panel was shortened to an hour. The convention sets teh limits. But this also helped us be more concise and clear with our answers.

After the panel we talked with people one on one out in the lobby. They had questions and we answered them. And as I walked around the convention, a few people who were at the panel said hello. I chatted with one guy for about 15 minutes because he had questions and I answered as best I could. It was fun being a teacher.

Later in the day I caught up with my friend Zack and a guy named Fon Davis. Fon had a project called MORAV and Zack wrote the graphic novel. I'm a character in the book. When he starts shooting it as a web series, I'll play the character. It's funny how all media crosses lines and genres that it didn't before. A movie might be a comic, a comic might be a tv show. A web series might show up somewhere else. The lines are blurred.

We all went to dinner and then got drinks. I got back to my room late and went to bed.

DAY 4

I didn't really hang out at the convention very long. I was in a bad mood because of the loss of costumes (I didn't know they were next to the mailbox in NoHo.) and I didn't feel like crowds. I wanted to go home. Beat the traffic, and just go home. I said Good-bye to Zack and got on the road by 1:30.

I knew traffic would be bad and where so I avoided it completely by taking a different freeway back to LA. It added 30-40 miles, but saved me time sitting in traffic.

When I got home I found the bag with the costumes and then put up a "LOST" sign on the mailbox. I hoped someone would come by with his head, but it's been almost a week, and no one has stepped forward. I'll put up a sign saying "$50 reward!" I can't afford more than that.

So that was Comic Con. Fun, but losses. I hope I'm back again next year.

No comments: