Thursday, June 23, 2011

Going Missionary

I don't mean the sexual position, but proselytizing. While I was housesitting in Culver City two teenage girls from some bible study school or program came to the door.

The girls asked if I had ever heard of God, the Mother, or the Bible. I said I was good. No thanks. And they went away. But then I thought about it. God, the Mother, and the Bible? It usually would be God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Maybe that's too Catholic.

At my apartment I don't get missionaries. Hell, I don't get trick or treaters on Halloween. They go across Lankershim to Toluca Lake. More expensive homes there and probably better candy. But I digress.

I have read a lot of the Bible. I have read the book of Mormon. (Total made up bullshit if you ask me. Much of it plagiarized by Smith from the Bible.) I have read some of the Koran. I think the creation myth in the Bible was plagiarized from Enuma Elish; the Babylonian/Sumerian creation myth and adapted. (Look it up. What am I thinking? Google it. No one looks things up anymore.) I have a curious mind when it comes to belief.

After they left I realized I could have asked them a bunch of questions that they probably didn't have answers for. I might have done that with some older people, but this might have been shooting drunk fish in a small barrel. These kids were ready to spread their view of the universe, but I don't think they were ready to meet anyone else's view.
When it comes to religion, I only have questions. And I don't buy into the answers that people give me...

No comments: