Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Prop 86'd

Prop 8 was overturned by a judge in San Francisco. In anticipation of a decision, both sides had prepared suits to appeal in the 9th circuit court if they didn't like the outcome of the decision. It's to be expected that something fought so passionately over by both sides would be going further. Probably all the way to the Supreme Court.

The Prop 8 supporters were on the radio almost immediately saying that the lifestyle was a choice. Many lesbians were molested as children. Most gay men were initiated into the lifestyle by older gay men. Blah Blah Blah.

Since I'm generally curious about things, I have asked some of my gay friends if they always knew they were gay or did it happen later. Most always knew they were gay. Some figured it out later and felt like they finally figured out who they were. So the assertion, usually the religious right, that it's a choice, is wrong.

I hope this decision stands. The legal grounds upon which the decision was made by the judge seem pretty solid to me, but I'm not a constitutional scholar. Though now radio and TV talking heads will have "activist judges" to clamor about. That should be amusing watching steam come out of their red, shaking, livid faces.

Gay marriage harms no "traditional marriage."

1 comment:

LolaDiana said...

As my gay friend Patrick sez, "Well I guess I'm a spinster again"