Friday, August 13, 2010

Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles


I'm stuck doing jury duty in downtown LA. The Courthouse is catty corner across the street from the Disney Concert Hall. This is where we are parking for our jury service.

Now I have seen pictures of it in movies, in the paper. I remember the big deal that was made about this building when it was first opened. I got to admit I wasn't too impressed. I'd only seen pictures or drove by it.

Well, today after I finished lunch in the cafe of the Disney hall I walked around the outside of the joint. From the street you see soaring sheet metal waves. It's impressive, but honestly the outside is about 1/10th of the building. It has very cool shape and curves and surprising little nooks and crannies that look out over the structure itself or downtown Los Angeles. In one area is a small outdoor ampitheatre with really good acoustics.

In a small nook there was a sign made from post-its instructing you to "Kiss Me Here." It was interesting and kind of sweet.

The structure is covered in brushed stainless steel over most of it. In some areas there is mirror like steel so you can see yourself walking by it very clearly. In some areas you can see the structure that holds the thousands of stainless steel sheet in place. And if you pay attention you can see the numbering system used to place the plates. I saw #4816 in one place. So sheathing this building is thousands of individually numbered sheets. What poor architect had to number all the sheets on some drawing, and describe the dimensions and angles so they could mill the metal? The construction is amazing compared to your standard building. Nothing about this building is standard.

Amazing. Simply amazing. I'm going to take a lunch hour and do the self guided tour with the dulcet tones of John Lithgow telling me about the building.

I'm going down there with my camera to take pictures. I think if Monet were alive he would paint multiple versions of it to document the changes of light for different times of the day.