Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where, O Where Has My Manager Gone?

Back in march of 2009 I signed with a small managment company. I was not certain aobut what she could do for me, but I didn't have any other representation at the time so I figured I'd give her a try. Maybe it would be AWESOME!

It was not awesome. She asks all her clients to email her on Monday of every week and tell her what their schedules are for the week. This I found odd. I've had agents and managers before and none of them ever asked for me to check in with them at the start of every week. This was also a problem because I don't really know what my schedule is most weeks, and it can change with a phone call. I tried to let her know what I was up to, but then after 2 months of this endeavour I let it slide.

Her job is to get me a fucking audition. It's my job to show up no matter what. And in the past with previous agents, 19 times out of 20 I made it to the audition.

In September I put out a general query to my FB profile friends. Is it better to have no agent, or to have a bad one? Everyone thought bad was better than none. Right when I was about to call it a day with her, in October she got me an audition. Fuck. I went to the audition but I didn't get called back. I was too tall to do a scene with a short actor.

She got me one audition in 6 months. Then nothing.

I was thinking about her and mulling over the task of contacting her to tell her I was no longer interested in being her client. I started to write an email. Then I happened to look her up on IMDb Pro. It listed her clients. I was not listed. I looked at Actors Access. I had no representation listed. Then I went to check my credit report to see if there was anything strange going on. I had given her all the information you would need to do identity theft. That's just an unfortunate part of the business since these people are your advocates... Nothing weird was going on. I was relieved to find that out. So she was honest, but had no ability to get me a damn audition.

But I was annoyed. At some point she decided to no longer represent me, but never let me know. When did it happen? No idea. I thought about emailing her to tell her off. But that isn't what a professional does. It would have been nice for her to act professionally to tell me she was cutting me loose. I had a commercial agent give me that much consideration ages ago. After I had already started looking for a new agent because he hadn't gotten me out in 12 months...

I have spent a lot of time here in LA talented but either under respresented or unrepresented.

Back to unrepresented...

No comments: