Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tattoos

I've been looking at peoples tattoos lately. And I gotta say, I'm generally not impressed. I wrote about body modification in February of this year. To restate, I have no tattoos or piercings. (Until I can have wings that work, I'm not getting anything done.)

I don't know why but I'm thinking that tattoos which I once found kind of cool, have gotten boring and so common place that they are no longer cool, hip, or edgy. Tattoos have reached the tipping point by being on almost everyone that they lost some magic.

Also I think it might be size and frequency. On women a small tattoo is kind of sexy; on the ankle or some such. When they have a sleeve done, or huge wings on their backs, or something large half covered by just normal clothes, I find it kind of distracting and not very sexy. Or if there are 2 dozen small ones all over the place. It looks odd.

I was talking to someone who was going to get her recently deceased dog's inital on her wrist. I asked why. "Because my dog taught me patience." Um, so you forget to have patience unless you have the dog's intial on your wrist? I don't understand the memory part of tattoos. I have a stunning memory. I don't need a tattoo to remember things. Generally I would like to forget.

Another person I was talking to had a tattoo lasered off. It was her dog's name and a blue rose. The tattoo artist went freestyle and screwed up, misspelling the name! I always wondered about that. What happens if they screw up? Well, the tattoo artist lost her job, and the owner of the place paid to have it lasered off. Let's do the math. $125 for a incorrect tattoo, $1800 for 10 sessions of laser tattoo removal. Priceless.

I guess the world needs to find a new way to be edgy. By being unmarked, maybe I'm edgy...

No comments: