Sunday, June 20, 2010

18 --- Head Age

I was at a birthday party for someone I know. He turned 61.

There were made up lyrics for the song "When I'm 64" that referenced the things in life that happened to Larry. The loss of hair, the replaced hip, things like that. Things that remind people their age.

I've never really liked those joke birthday cards that say "Wow! You are fucking old!" I find them rather mean and not funny when people are looking at their lives getting shorter as they live longer.

When I was sitting outside, most everyone had left and people were cleaning up, for some reason I asked how old Larry was in his head.

Without hesitation he said, "18."

It took me a long time to figure out that the chronological age someone has on their driver's license is not the age they think of themselves, or view themselves in their heads.

I think the "Head Age" I am is probably the reason I feel, at many times in my life, like a kid. And I don't know what the fuck I'm doing sometimes.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

I love this concept. I remember at the age of 30 I found a book called "The Art of Being a Grown Up." The book said that you could do yourself a favor by being VEEERRRY careful about telling people your real chronological age. Instead, it counseled, pick an age that feels strong and agile and powerful and full of potential and promise and adopt that as your age and stick with it. its your own secret. I LOVED that advice, and at the age of 30, I decided I was 42. I've been 42 for 14 years now and its working quite well.